Current Vocation: PhD Candidate, Teaching Assistant, Department of Romance Languages, UGA
Born in an Italian family in Brazil, different languages and cultures have always been part of Juliano's life (fluent in Portuguese, English, Spanish, and he can get around pretty well in Italian). He studies at UGA where he is pursuing a PhD in Romance Languages with a minor in film studies. He is also the editor-in-chief of a magazine, Fala Aí, with the goal of sharing the culture of Portuguese-speaking (Lusophone) countries with the world (please visit issuu.com/falaai to see more of what he does). His background in literature should come in handy when describing, analyzing, and overall critiquing movies. Period movies are a sure way to catch Juliano's attention, and so are plot twists (but no spoilers, please!)
Interests and Accomplishments
- Mastering all four strokes in swimming, with their turns. It took me over three years to master the backstroke turn, so I'll always be proud of my perseverance in not giving up.
- Idealization and development of Fala Aí, the magazine of the Portuguese program at UGA.
Top 5 Films
- Cinema Paradiso
- Central Station
- Life is Beautiful
- All about my mother
- Mortal Kombat
Top 5 Books
- Captain Fracasse, by Théophile Gautier
- Robinson Crusoe, by Daniel Defoe
- The Devil to Pay in the Backlands (Grande sertão: Veredas), by Guimarães Rosa
- O Quatrilho, by José Clemente Pozenato
- Siempre es dificil volver a casa (It's always hard to return home), Antonio Dal Masetto
Top 5 Songs
- Overjoyed, by Stevie Wonder
- L'amore è un'altra cosa, by Arisa
- Cloud, by Visc.
- Luiza, by Tom Jobim
- Corazón Partío, by Alejandro Sanz